If you are like the rest of us, you probably have had many roadblocks and set-backs to overcome in your personal and business life.
During the process of overcoming the roadblocks and set-backs what did you do to keep yourself happy, and moving forward?! It is easy to digress into depression when things do not go the way you had planned or envisioned.
Each obstacle I believe should be looked at as a lesson, and what can be learnt from it. If you do not learn from each set-back, and hopefully spin it into a positive you have lost an opportunity.
Don’t get me wrong we are all human (some of us at least) and will get upset and maybe a little depressed. However, the people who succeed are the ones who get out of the ‘funk’ the quickest, and keep moving forward.
In your career you may not even know that you are unhappy, yet your better half will (or close friends). My wife new before I did that it was time to move on from a specific company, as she saw my demeanor change which I was unaware of. My work unhappiness had crept into my home life, without me even realizing it. So I kept moving forward, and found a new opportunity which made me happy. I looked to learn from the experience, and hopefully won’t make the same mistakes again.
- Roadblock: Look for an alternative route. Have a mentor you can speak with, and bounce ideas off
- Set- Back: What can you learn from the situation? How can you turn the set-back into a win? Look at the bigger picture
- Always look to better yourself, and move forward
- Ask for help
- Don’t be afraid of two letters ……NO. If you do not ask, you will never know what could have been
- What makes you happy? (e.g. family, going for a walk, eating good food, travelling, working, gardening, golf etc.)
- Never lose sight that Family and Friends are very important
- Learn to ‘switch off’
I have thankfully reached happiness in my family life which I am always grateful for. This helps me in continuing to look to move forward* and better myself.
What makes you want to move forward?!
"If you want to go fast, go alone. IF you want to go far, go with others" African Proverb
*moving forward –For me it means bettering yourself and not giving up.
“Never let the fear of striking out get in your way” Babe Ruth